Before you book a flight or gas up the car, ask yourself this question: Will my pet make a good traveling companion? Meaning, does your pet have the right temperament for travel. If not, considering boarding your pet or finding a pet sitter.
- Make sure your pet's microchip information is up to date and they have a tag clearly displaying your contact information.
- Schedule a visit to your vet to make sure your pet is healthy for travel. Also, request a certificate of health for each pet you have traveling. Remember to get a copy of your pets vaccine history and refill medications.
TRAVELING BY CAR
- Secure your pet in an appropriate pet carrier, especially cats.
- Along with your pets favorite chew toys and play things, bringing a few practical items will make your trip less adventurous: food, leash, bowl, waste bags, grooming supplies, etc.
- Do not leave your pet in a hot or cold car, even if it's only for a short period of time.
TRAVELING BY PLANE
- Check out this website for a list of airlines and their pet policies: http://petfriendlytravel.com/airtravel
- Book flights in late afternoon or early morning to avoid extreme changes in air temperature.
- Always book non-stop flights when traveling with your pet.
- Have a conversation with your vet regarding the pros and cons of medications to help with anxiety associated with travel for your pet.
RESEARCHING PET FRIENDLY HOTELS
This sounds laborious, but it's not. You would be surprised how many hotels are pet friendly. Check out these websites for traveling pet owners:
- Please be aware that the requirements for a pet to enter the country varies depending on your destination.
- Inquire about any necessary documents you will need for customs.
- Some countries require mandatory quarantine periods for any domestic pet.
- Make sure you have a signed Rabies Vaccine certificate and a document of all other vaccinations.
- Once all of your documents are filled out they will need to be submitted to the USDA's office (conveniently located in Austin!)
- Another helpful resource is http://www.petrelocation.com/ who does all the organizing for you!